Simon Griffiths Blog

My thoughts on …. everything

Iritis – a possible cure?

with 290 comments

Okay so this is a bit of an over the top title, but I was hoping to attract attention because this might just help you, as it has me over the last year.

First things first though. What is iritis? If you have it you probably know all too well, but in short form, it is:-

• Swelling of the iris in the eye
  • Caused by your immune system attacking your own body (auto-immune issue)
  • Can be caused by a million different thing

I first started getting iritis about 3 years ago, and was getting it increasingly frequently until recently. I have been tested for all the usual suspects, genetic markers and even some forms of deseases I would have hated to have told my girlfriend about. All were negative.

Each time I got iritis was pretty much the same. I had a cold or viral infection of some kind, fought it off, then my immune system seemed to look for other things to sort out, which was usually bits of me! I always got a big ulcer in the roof of my mouth, followed by iritis about a week or so after the ulcer. This could be a good few weeks after I’d originally been sick.

To sort out iritis when I got it, I did the usual. Drops to dilate the pupil, and steroid drops to sort out the problem. Uncomfortable, annoying, and potentially giving me cateracts way before I want them.

In the last year I have managed to avoid iritis completely, and with very little effort. I read an article on immune disorders saying how good Yakult like drinks were (you know the lactobacillus little drinks you get in the shops). Since then I have been taking those. This may be a complete fluke, but I am convinced it helps. When I start getting the ulcer, I up my dose to 2-3 bottles a day, and the ulcer goes, and no iritis.

By the way, I also tried the powder in the bottles, but this didn’t seem to work as well.

Anyway, if you are reading this. Please give it a go. It has helped me.

If it does the same to you, please put a comment in this post as I would like to pass it on to any researchers who are interested.

Written by Simon

January 25th, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Posted in Health

Tagged with , , ,

290 Responses to 'Iritis – a possible cure?'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Iritis – a possible cure?'.

1. Hi All, it is so refreshing to find this blog and discussion of remedies people are trying. I was just diagnosed. Unfortunately I have iritis in both of my eyes. It has been a very stressful week not being able to see properly or work, but it is under control with steroid drops for now. I am no longer dilating but my vision is blurry. Any advice is appreciated about experiences with blurry vision and its duration. Also, I have been suffering cold-sore/ herpes outbreaks on my lips/mouth area for years, ever since I was a child. Some were so bad, I would get blisters across on my entire bottom lip. For the past two years I had few outbreaks, maybe once per year or less. I am just curious if others have had a history of horrible cold sore outbreaks prior to the onset of iritis. My entire family has horrible cold sore outbreaks but none of them have had iritis. By the way I am 26 years old/female and hoping to make this my only case of iritis, unlike the battle I fought with cold sores for so many years…

Cara

1 Apr 14 at 11:01 am

2. Hi Simon – I commented on September, 2011 (I did the summary). Since the last post in 2011 I have continued to get Iritis every few months. Luckily I have an eye specialist who sees me the morning I call (in Ontario, Canada this is amazing!)

My new attempts to combat it involve a lot of Vit. D, probiotics and every night a heavy duty eye gel – which has kept the episodes at bay for 3 months…but my hopes are not very high.

Barbara

2 Apr 14 at 7:22 am

3. Hi Cara

You may have read that one of the things that iritis is associated with is actually the same herpes virus that gives you cold sores. It might be worth seeing your doctor to ask if there is any way to fight this. Over here in Australia, there is now a 1 shot tablet for cold sores which apparently does seem to work (http://www.nps.org.au/medicines/infections-and-infestations/antiviral-medicines/famciclovir/apo-famciclovir-tablets-for-people-with-cold-sores). I’m clutching at straws here, but there is some work that says this can help.

Check with your doctor first though, as it isn’t very clear what this actually treats. One paper I found was http://www.aao.org/publications/eyenet/200909/feature.cfm, which mentions this treatment as effective, but says it can cause other problems and is difficult to discontinue. This doesn’t really agree with the one tablet treatment of cold sores though.

Has anyone else tried anything like this before?

Cheers

2 Apr 14 at 9:10 am

4. Hi Barbara,
    That’s pretty much the combination I take, but I don’t use the gel. Let us know how you go on and if you can give some specific advice on doses, and what eye gel you use, that would be great.
    Cheers

2 Apr 14 at 9:13 am

5. Cara –

I have suffered with chronic iritis for almost 20 years, I am currently 39. My doctors and I have tried many different treatment options without much success. (My post from December 10, 2013 has more detail, if you are curious). Until now! I too have a history of cold sores, although, not severe breakouts as you have had to cope with over the years. I take a Lysine supplement & Acyclovir 800mg tablet every day. It is about 3 months since my last iritis episode cleared up. Going 3 months without a reoccurance is a big deal for my iritis. I would recommend you try the Lysine & Acyclovir combination to see if it helps. There are very minimal side effect risks, I have had no side effects at all, and so far it is helping me keep my iritis under control. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself by talking about it though… you know how Murhphy’s Law can sometimes be a bitch. GOOD LUCK! Hope it helps. Keep me posted.

Shannyn

5 Apr 14 at 2:12 am

6. I am 23 yrs of age goin on 24. I have been dealing with iritis since I was only months old. I take the steroid drops and it works. But I used to have 20/20 vision. Now the iritis eye my vision sucks! My pupil is deformed causing my vision to go bad. It sucks! 🙁

breanna

18 Apr 14 at 12:23 pm

7. Hey guys, i too suffer from this. Try omega 3. I take about 6 fishoil tablets daily and it did wonders from me. Fish oil from fresh water fish is best. I still get bouts from time to time which usually tells me the batch of tablets were not great and i buy another botttle.

Luci

6 May 14 at 9:01 pm

8. Hi all, I had an earlier post (Jan 15 2014) i have been Iritis free for about 2 months, Just wanted to share how I managed to somehow kick its Arse. I have had it for about 3 months and everytime I went off the drops it would come back within days, So i decided to change my Diet a little, so I eliminated things like fried foods and soft drinks,milk( although i take some dairy products like greek yoghurt, cottage cheese and whey protein) white bread and reduced my sugar intake, I stay away from sugar as much as i can. I also started going to the gym at least 4 times a week, some cardio and weight training, the first few weeks of going to the gym I would get a flare up so i would take one naproxene 250 mg tablet and it would stop, the flareups stopped once my body kinda adjusted to the workouts, I did have one more flare up and that was because i drank a bit too much, Drinking in moderation is important, or just stick to beer :), so to summarize,

1. eat healthy, stay away from milk, fried foods sugar and soft drinks
    2. exercise regularly, both cardio and weight training

3. Drink in moderation and stay away from hard liquor if possible

4. take a multivitamin tablet with your breakfast,My choice is Centrum A to zinc.

5. rest well.

And one more thing, some of you might not like it, but if you are on steroid eye drops for a long time, I suggest you obtain a medical marijuana card and buy marijuana edibles like cookies and any other edibles, ingest marijuana around 6 it takes like 2 hours to get into your system, so what it does is it decreases your eye pressure good idea if you are on heavy dosage of steroid eye drops.

Hope this helps boys and girls, wish you all a healthy iritis-free life.

Gedi

18 May 14 at 11:09 pm

9. Hi Simon – haven’t checked this site for a while – pressure of work!

I am just going past the 6-month mark iritus free! (Yipppee! first time in years.)

What seems to be working for me is daily “Metagenics” brand Vit D3 liquid drops – 25 mcg per drop and I take at least 5 drops a day.

And – this is really helping – every night TEARGEL LIQUID GEL

COMPOSITION:
    Each 1 g contains:, Polyacrylic acid 2,0 mg, Cetrimide (as preservative) 0,01 % m/m

I did not think my eyes were dry, but after the comfort of the eye gel I realize that during the night they were very dry. I only use the tear gel at night because it can be hard to see through the gel after applying to the eye (sort of like trying to see through Vaseline!)

If my eyes feel itchy or dry during the day I use “Thera Tears Lubricant Eye Drops” – which seems to have an oil lubricant in it.

Barbara

26 May 14 at 2:36 am

10. Barbara – Is the brand of gel Teargel? I have looked at several drugstores and haven’t been able to find any with polyacrylic in the active ingredients. Please email me at chadshannyn@hotmail.com if you have a chance to respond to this message. Thank you

Shannyn Jacobsen

1 Jun 14 at 2:29 am

11. Simon – This is a very interesting thread. I developed iritis 2 years ago and took drops which helped a bit but never really fixed the problem. I then had to take antibiotics for a different problem and subsequently developed IBS. I went gluten free and it helped with everything and my eye got 50% better. Not perfect but not a major issue.

Because I was convinced I had a gluten issue (IBS), I bought some high-end probiotics. At this stage I wasn’t paying much attention to my iritis because it wasn’t causing me any issues but after a few weeks I noticed both eyes were better than ever. Starting to think it was the good bacteria that helped the immune system.

The problem is I am now living in Asia and am struggling to get the probiotics here and my eyes are back to before the probiotics. I can buy Yakult so I will start on that today and try and get the probiotics shipped as I am convinced that they worked brilliantly.

Gareth

20 Oct 14 at 9:09 pm

12. Hi Gareth,
    I hope you find it has the same effects as the previous probiotic you took. I must admit I always found Yakult seemed to help better than the supermarket brands they sell over here (in Australia). Just as a matter of interest, what was the probiotic you used previously?
    Cheers

21 Oct 14 at 8:28 am

13. Simon,

I cant thank you enough for staring this blog now I dont feel as alone in this Iritis world. It is not a common ailment and no one except my eye doctor really understands it. I am lucky that I have a wonderful eye doctor that has gotten me on a steroid regime that has it somewhat under control. It is a frustrating disease in that you just think maybe this is the last attack then wham. I have been fighting this for 4 years now and I had two attacks last year that were both only finally controlled by a long term(6 week control) steroid shot in the eye socket each time. It doesnt sound like fun but when you are at that point he could have given me 10 and I would not have cared. After the second shot this past year I decided to try and look up information on the internet – I did not find this blog but one other source talked about the effects of an anti-inflammary diet. It was like a little bell going off when I realized iritis is an inflammary disease and that I could acutally do something to help myself. One person wrote they took 2 blueberry concentrate pills a day and had not had an attack in 2 years. I was sold. My life changed that day. I bought the blueberry pills and a book. The best book I found to get started was “Clean Cuisine” best book ever written if you are an Iritis sufferer. The person how wrote it suffers from MS. I do not follow it to the letter – too hard – but the concepts are there. I have given up all processed foods and refined sugar and added alot of the “super foods”. I wanted to share this even if it only helps one person out there. You have to exercise as well and keep a positive attitude. Iritis is definately a “barometer” I could gaurantee I would get for all Holidays and big occations – I am glad to hear others say that because I thought it was my imagination. It has been 8 months and I hope I am not jinxing it but no attacks. I want to thank the people who wrote about the cold sores – I was getting them and did not realize they could trigger Iritis so I have added Lysiene to keep them under control – I started that a month ago and no sores. I wanted to finally sit down and write this – this is my first blog I have ever written but it feels good to try to reach anyone who could benefit. One question have others been getting more just broken blood vessels that make your eye look really bad and bloodsht but no other symptoms? That has happen a couple of times this year. I think the Iritis is coming but the redness just eventually goes away….I was thinking it might be from all the stearoids making the blood vessels weaker? Any comments? Hope this isnt too long and boring….

Judy

7 Dec 14 at 2:38 am

14. Hi Judy

Thanks for posting. This will be interesting reading. Just to check, that is Clean Cuisine by Ivy Larson (http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Cuisine-8-Week-Anti-Inflammatory-Change/dp/0425255921)?

I must admit that it was a good while ago since I had my last attack of iritis, but I do remember staring at my eye in the mirror trying to decide whether redness was the start of another attack or not. I also had a couple of cases on conjuntivitis too in there, and they are really confusing. I don’t particularly remember broken blood vessels though. Has anyone else had that experience?

Cheers

7 Dec 14 at 11:36 pm

15. Simon,

Thanks for responding so quickly. Yes, the book is by Ivy Larson. She packs a lot into the book – a great resource for how to eat your way to health. I am far from perfect at it but after reading your blogs I realize any small improvements in eating and exercise can have a big impact on a future Iritis attacks. The book is just a good motivator. Good luck staying Iritis free and I will continue to look for future postings on your website. We can all learn from each other

Best regards,

Judy

Judy

9 Dec 14 at 12:46 pm

16. Hi Simon, my last major flare was in January 2013, and on this occasion, my pupil got stuck and has permanently damaged my right eye. After that I read your post about Yakult helping with Iritis. Since then, I have felt my eye begin to flare on at least 5 occasions, and I have dosed up on Yakult (or the Woolworths brand – Australia) and I have not had any further episodes. I usually drink 2 Yakults about 3 times a day for a couple of days while I can feel the symptoms. I am so glad that I read your post, because I really hated the eye drops, and so far this has been a godsend for me.
    Thanks so much for sharing, Simon

Kelly

2 Jan 15 at 7:28 am

17. Hi,
    I’m really glad this worked for you too. I am a bit the same in the way I approached it. As soon as I felt it coming on (in my case that was usually a big ulcer on the roof of my mouth), I started using about the same doses you are taking. After a while, I seem to have got completely on top of it, so don’t have to take it very often, if ever, these days. Hopefully it will be the same for you too.
    Cheers

16 Jan 15 at 11:13 am

18. Hello all. I’m 27 and an currently suffering from my first case of iritis. I got misdiagnosed with viral conjunctivitis and now I’m being referred to an eye specialist. My ophthalmologist I was seeing was treating me with Durozol steroid drops and ketorolac every six hours + dilating every twelve and it’s not getting better. I’m going in two days to a retina specialist and I’m really scared. My vision was 20-20 and now it’s 20-70 but I don’t know if that’s because of being dilated. And my good eye has a floater in it which worries me. Any help would be appreciated.

Brittany

19 Feb 15 at 12:46 pm

19. Late to this blog but wanted to let poster Wendy know I saw Dr Grant Raymond in North Adelaide for many years, took good care of me.

claire

22 Feb 15 at 10:09 pm

20. Hi Brittany
    Sorry to have taken so long to reply. It sounds like you might be a bit light on the drops to me. I’m not sure of that particular brand, but I was using the steroid drops every hour. It might be worth checking to see if you can up your dose. I was using Prednefrin Forte btw. I tended to have a big dose to start with, then gradually reduced it over about a month.
    Don’t worry too much about your vision in the eye being treated for the moment. The dilating drops play absolute havoc with your vision. Mine took probably 2 months to recover fully, but were noticeably better after a few days of stopping the steroid drops. I seem to remember a lot of floaters too. I’m older than you though so you tend to get those more as you are getting on a bit! I’m guessing its because the focus of that eye is so messed up that you just notice these things a lot more though. There’s a good chance that this is also a result of the healing process, but I would check anyway.
    Hope you are feeling a bit better though, and again sorry for the late reply.

2 Mar 15 at 10:35 pm

21. Hi Wendy,
    You may remember that you posted on my blog a while back as you were looking for an iritis specialist for your dad. Hopefully he has recovered from it now, but just in case, Claire has just posted that she saw Dr Grant Raymond in North Adelaide for many years.
    Simon Griffiths

2 Mar 15 at 10:39 pm

22. Thanks Claire, I’ve passed your doctor on to Wendy directly too. It’s great to get recommendations as it seems like it’s one of those things that really needs someone with a bit of experience.

2 Mar 15 at 10:40 pm

23. The bad news – I have iritus today – the good news, it’s been my first episode since November, 2013. Well over a year, when previously it was happening every three months.

My eye lubrication routine (see above) was keeping things in check, last week I got a bad flu and a cold sore. Although the cold sore was under control quickly with prescription Zovirax, obviously not quickly enough.

I have an appointment with my competent eye doctor tomorrow, and it’s back on the steroids for a few weeks, darn. Maybe I have to kick things up a notch and buy blueberry pills.

Barbara

8 Apr 15 at 4:18 am

24. Hi,
    I’ve had iritis for 15 months non stop in both eyes. Every time I try to reduce the drops it flares up. I have cataracts starting in both eyes and now high pressure in both eyes. Doctors say the drops or the iritis could be the cause. I’m 38 and am so frightened about what will happen to my eyes and sight if they don’t get better soon. I have 2 sons aged 2 and 4 and yes I’m tired. I also lost my dad 4 years ago. So probably am more stressed than I realise. I will try the probiotic and look into the amino acid thing. I need to find a cure. Thanks for all your posts and to the man running this site. It’s such a relief to find others who understand.

Laila

26 Apr 15 at 10:04 pm

25. Thanks so much for drawing my attention to this. I’m on my third bout of Iritis, and, as per usual, I have a cold virus to go with it. I will definitely give Yakult a go.

Karin Froch

3 May 15 at 11:13 am

26. Thanks very much for sharing on your blog, so many sufferers and sad tales 🙁
    I have had the red devil on and off for around 6 years, mainly an annual event for me. I too think iritis is one of those things that has multiple triggers which you have to find and control.

Like to share something I think works to keep it at bay if you are in the same circumstances. As an I.T. person I would spend inordinate amounts of time in front of a computer screen, and I would have one eye start to play up – with all the iritis symptoms beginning to appear. By enforcing an eye break, where I step away from the machine, and actively change my focus, go outside in the fresh air etc. I found that I could prevent and control the onset of these. I would have a mirror on the desk for regular eye checks, as sometimes I just wouldnt be able to tell if one was on its way. On one occasion it had kicked off and was pretty much about to go nuclear – but I managed to check it and control it without any nasty chemicals, just by stepping away, and putting a hot balloon on the eye for a few hours. So I think eye fatigue and lack of lens exercise can be a factor. In this day and age we do spend a lot of time staring at fixed distances.. especially during long telephone calls..;)

I have also had iritis triggered by cold viruses, when this happens I have had no solution, but I am going to try the yakult approach and add it to the arsenal of weapons in the hope that this sorts that trigger out.

Wishing everyone success with whatever works and finding your own triggers.

Mark

6 May 15 at 5:47 pm

27. For those of you who wish to try Yakult but unable to locate it in your local supermarkets, they can be purchased at Costco under the brand name Cool Plus in the refrigerated foods section with all the same ingredients of the Yakult brand and in the same serving size. I have also seen them at the major 99 cents Only store chains in California under another brand name and fruit flavored ingredients and manufactured by the same company as Costco’s Cool Plus brand..

By consuming one serving BEFORE my afternoon and in particular my evening meal, my acid reflux dilemma has virtually disappeared.

If you are on any antibiotic meds, you may want to space out in several hours your consumption between the probiotic and the antibiotic so they don’t contradict each other.

Magda Elena

17 May 15 at 2:57 am

28. Hello everyone:
    I am a 55 year old female and am having my 3rd occurrence of iritis. My flare ups seem to be coming about every 18 months. This current flare has been going for 2 months and still isn’t clear. I’ve read many posts here and I believe that stress is a major contributor to iritis. My ophthalmologist disagrees. I am a high school teacher and this flare up happened just as testing was going on which was stressful. I have been caring for my aging parents this summer again- very stressful ( mom had major surgery). We lost our son 8 years ago which changed me completely! I am a stressed person. I am going to try to do an anti-inflammatory diet to see if that will help. Also I’m going to try Yakult. To Laila, I will pray for you! I can’t imagine the difficulty you are having! Thank you Simon for this blog where “sufferers” can relate.

Angela

1 Jul 15 at 10:06 am

29. Hi Angela
    I hope the food diet goes well. Hopefully you’ll find like me that once you have sorted this out, you won’t get another occurrence for a long time like me.
    I keep saying this but I must shift this over from comments on a blog to something more private where we can really talk to each other.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment too.

1 Jul 15 at 1:14 pm

30. I was recently diagnosed with iritis. As I read this blog, I see that it may not be my last. I have the usual symptoms but also extreme headaches and sleepiness. I have to take several naps a day. This is so unlike me. I was wondering if this is associated with the iritis. Now I fear I have it in my other eye as I have burning sensation and a little redness. I do not know if the burning sensation is due to overuse of the eye because of the iritis in the other eye. I am trying to figure out why I came down with iritis and all I can think of is possible stress and the fact that I have a buckle on that eye due to retinal detachment. Any thoughts out there?

Kathleen Sherbondy

28 Aug 15 at 9:42 am

31. Hi,
    It sounds like you are similar to me. I was so tired when I had it that I actually fell asleep sat in front of the doctor. He thought I had fainted I think, but I had actually just fallen asleep. I was also extremely weak which is again very unlike me.
    I would love to get others opinions on whether previous injuries have an effect on iritis. As it happens I got hit in my ‘iritis eye’ twice with a squash ball. Both times I ended up with a completely black eyeball for some time. I also remember getting a good poke in the eye from my toddler son just before my first episode. Anyone else had a similar experience?
    I would try not to worry too much about the other eye at the moment. My other eye got a bit sore and tired too. I tended to use normal drops in that one. Keep checking it, and get your doctor to check of coarse, but from my experience the other eye did suffer a bit too.
    Cheers

28 Aug 15 at 10:17 am

32. I too am an iritis sufferer for the last 30 yrs. Had all the tests and my dr thinks it is herpetic iritis as no other cause found. I too suffered from hemorages in the eye from the predforte use and found that Rutin helped considerably. I take one capsule a day and the hemoraging has virtually stopped.. I was experiencing about one hemoraging episode every ten days and am now down to one episode every two or three months, if that. Hopes this helps. Still on Predofrte drops twice a day as it never completely goes away.

cheryl g

1 Sep 15 at 9:08 am

33. Simon, my eye doctor says that trauma to the eye is a documented cause of iritus. (Called, sensibly enough, traumatic iritis.)

Has anyone used or heard of using low intensity light therapy to prevent iritus?

Barbara

3 Sep 15 at 1:05 am

34. Dear simon.

I was in Devonport when i had a bad case of Iritis or Uveitis i think that is how it is spelt.

I was on holiday the first two days not know what it was i sort of thought to myself oh probably conjunctivitis i have had some cases of that from time to time. So when i got to the 3rd day not being around my normal medical support system i thought i go to the chemist to see if they could do something about it. They advised me that it is best to see a GP and or eye specialist. Well the pain was unbearable so i tried to find a a GP etc to be told we do not take on new patients.

So i ended up going to the Hospital to emergency i could hardly open up my left eye. They told me i had goo eye something like that and gave me some ointment and sent me on my way with an appointment to see a Eye Doctor in the morning.

Got to the Eye Doctor who said the Hospital had given me the wrong stuff that i had Iritis and gave me two drops and another ointment to cost around the 80.00 mark.

This was not going away and reading some information about it i notice most people had it only for about 48 hours till i saw your blog and started to get so much information it was incredible.

For two weeks i was in total pain i have lost my vision and could not see was very blurry and then i tried the Yakult 3 times a day within two days of having it my eye was coming good.

I am now in the process of being back in Adelaide waiting to see a Eye specialist to work through why i had this.

I just wanted to write to you for one to thank you for your blog. Two: to let you know maybe a trial could be a good idea to see if stuff like Yakult is in fact helps in Iritis.

Alison

19 Oct 15 at 8:21 am

35. Hi Alison,
    Sorry not to have got back to you for so long. I must admit that I missed your comment coming in and only just picked it up now. I hope your eye is feeling a lot better. I know your pain in the initial stages too. I had the same problem. Another one to watch is once it’s over, if you get something like conjunctivitis they tend to give you the drops for iritis again so the next thing you know you have a fully dilated pupil which takes ages to get back to normal again. The drops for that are Homatropine, so that’s one to watch for too.
    It’s good you mentioned trials. I would love to see some official studies done. That’s the reason I have never made this post more private. I was really hoping that a doctor will pick it up at some point and do some proper clinical tests. My guess is that it will work in some cases and not in others, but even that would make it worth a try for most people.
    Anyway, hopefully you have yours under control now. From memory there’s a good doctor that someone recommended in Adelaide, so let me know if you are having troubles and I will try and find them again.
    Cheers

8 Nov 15 at 9:08 am

36. I have dealt with iritis flare ups for the past 18 years. For some reason I have not had a flare up for over a year now. When I did have a flare up I would suffer as long as possible because I didn’t want to spend the $100.00 for the steroid drops. I also would find myself going through the medicine cabinet like a drug addict to find an old bottle for relief. Nothing like the feeling of getting stabbed in the eye over and over again and feeling like a vampire when it comes to light. I have read honey put into the eye helps with the inflammation but haven’t gone there yet. The last time I had a flare up I went through a bottle of Predforte and still had the flare up so the doctor prescribed Durezol. Here is a list of my daily supplements. I say anything that helps with your autoimmune system is a plus.
    Fish Oil, Lysine, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Beta Alanine, Multi Vitamin, Magnesium Zinc Calcium, Taurine, D, B12, and DHEA.
    I take a few of these because I’m a runner with a shattered leg with screws, plates, and arthritis.
    If I took a guess the DHEA, Fish Oil, and Lysine have fought off the flare ups.

Brian

10 Feb 16 at 1:56 am

37. I just want to thank everyone for your comments. I too am suffering from Iritis (3 diagnosed episodes over the course of 8 months. I find relief in knowing there are others experiencing the same challenges I am in terms of understanding how to prevent flare ups. I recently had my blood work done and waiting on results in hopes for some answers. In the meantime, I will try some of the recommendations I have read from all of you.

Lourdes

16 Apr 16 at 7:47 am

38. its good to hear everyones storys. My uveitis is apparantly caused by a particular gene, B27 something or other. I have had it permanently for 2 years now. Everytime i get down to one steroid drop a day it will come back strong within about 5 days.

Strangely enough i do seem to have a little ulcer or something permanently on my gum at the front of my mouth. wonder if this could be something???

No one who has not had it can understand how worrying it is when you feel it coming back as wee all know what the long term steriod usage will mean.

I have been trying anti-inflammatory foods etc for about 3 years now and sadly doesnt seem to help me. Really wish it did.

Perhaps there is no cure if you test positive for this gene????

Jonathan

18 Apr 16 at 6:15 pm

39. So glad to find this blog. I think I have iritis. Going to eye Dr tomorrow for sure. I have chrohns disease have taken imunosuppressants for 5 years. Am now going off those med and now my eyes are being affected. I really believe huge doses of probiotic are the key to helping all inflammatory disease including iritis. The best are refrigerated ones at the health store. Also eye drops of euphrasia or herb brite eye reduces inflammation.

Rebecca

22 Apr 16 at 3:59 am

40. I have had bouts of Iritis since November of 1985. I live in North Florida and my first bout was about 6 days before my home was hit by my first ever hurricane (Kate – 1985). It interests me that many here seem to think stress could have something to do with this. When the NWS draws a line repeatedly over your home as the path for a major storm and you have not as yet lived through one of these, your stress goes up especially when the date they expect the storm is a week before Thanksgiving. Every time I went on the drops steroid and pressure as my pressure goes up (I understand from my doctor that many folks have the pressure go down – I am not sure of this however) – in about 4-6 weeks I was off the drugs and good to go for another year or two. This time seems to be different. I have gotten down to the one drop a day and it comes back with a vengence. I think that this might have started when I started taking an antibiotic for my trip to Africa which of course caused my flora to die off as well – it is interesting that many here put a lot of store in probiotics – the fact that this might have started after taking an antibiotic sure makes me wonder. I am off to the store for a high end probiotic – Yakult has WAY to much sugar for me so I am going to find something that does not have that problem.

James